If you're visiting this blog post, you're probably about to approach your LaunchCode course application and are curious about the short-answer portion of the application process. That's good! It means you're already thinking ahead and planning out ways to approach your answers.
Why does LaunchCode have short-answer questions in the course application?
The LaunchCode short-answer admissions questions are only one of the aspects considered on your application. A number of factors are taken into account, including passion, drive, application questions, aptitude for problem-solving, interest in landing a job in tech, applicant need, and a class that reflects the broader community we serve. Curious about the HackerRank problem-solving assessment? Check out tips on this video to learn more!
You do not need prior coding knowledge to be successful. Just demonstrate your motivation, passion and interest!
What should I do to achieve my best possible score on the answers?
You will be prompted with a set of three different short-answer questions, which can vary by course. No matter which course you choose, your answers should demonstrate these qualities:
- Motivation to complete the course
- An example of a time when you have taken initiative. For example, how have you self-started your journey into tech (if applicable)?
- Passion for the track subject and the tech industry in general
- Why do you believe you will be successful in this course? You should be able to demonstrate key skills like problem solving, time management, proactive planning, growth mindset, or other relevant skills or experience.
What types of questions are in the short-answer portion?
If you are applying for a full-time or part-time course, you’ll be asked the following questions:
- Tell us about a time when you overcame an obstacle. ( 150 words or fewer)
- Tell us about a time when you had to teach yourself something - this can be anything, such as: fixing something at home, taking an online course, learning a hobby, etcetera. How did you go about doing it? ( 150 words or fewer)
- Why do you want to take this course? What are your goals for the course? ( 150 words or fewer)
If you are applying for a LaunchCode Women+ course, you’ll be asked the following questions:
- Have you participated in a LaunchCode education program in the past? (CS50x, Summer of Code, WebDev?)
- Please tell us about yourself and why the Women+ environment would be a good fit for you. (50 word limit)
- To close this application, we’d like to give you an opportunity to tell us why you want to be a student (participant) in this Women+ course. Please answer the following questions in your response: How do you think this experience will enrich your life? What do you hope to gain from it? What do you plan to do with the knowledge you acquire? (250 words or fewer)
Have fun with it! Our research shows that the more time you spend preparing in the program, the higher your chances of success. Take time to reflect on your prior experiences, why you want to learn, and your passion for taking the next step. Show us just how ready you are to take control of your job in tech journey!
Applications are open multiple times each year in our main locations of Saint Louis, Kansas City, and Philadelphia. Sign up to be notified when course applications are open in your area!